Thursday 9 January 2020

The Best Holiday Gift This Past Year


After opening several cheap moving boxes worth of gifts this year for the winter holidays, I came across my favorite gift of them all: an extremely nice industrial grade wok that I’ve been wanting for a long time coming. While I received other things that were absolutely amazing, including a sleeping cot and new recipe books and even a food processor, the wok was absolutely my most coveted item of the holidays. As I stood among the various ripped open cheap moving boxes around my living room floor, I couldn’t help but get giddy with excitement when looking at that beautiful wok.


You see, I don’t think enough people take an interest or even a love in their cooking and the food they eat. Too often, the majority becomes consumed in other things in their life, whether that’s work, family, or watching TV. And so, they dedicate less time to the likes of cooking authentic, home-prepared meals. And thus, their health goes down the drain because of it. That’s probably the saddest part to me, when I come to think about how little people focus on their diet.

And so, I think there needs to be a shift in the way we think about food and the process of cooking if there’s ever going to be a trend towards a healthier nation. Until that happens, our general health will be much worse off than other leading countries around the world. We need to make it a point to love cooking, to love preparing fresh food, and to love what we put into our bodies.

I’m glad I’ve already hit that point in my life, where I can’t wait to cook my next meal or prepare something new for the first time. I feel it’s allowed me to regain my health and have a renewed sense of love for the things I consume. Even better, it’s made me more environmentally conscious, because now I’m looking at things like where something was produced or farmed. And having more conviction in what you do and eat means you have more conviction in your ideals.

And so, this is why I’m obsessed with my new wok and cannot wait to temper it properly and have the inaugural fried rice that will kick off the new year right. Perhaps I’m a little too enthusiastic about a piece of cookware, but hey, I could be obsessed with something much worse, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Best Holiday Gift This Past Year

After opening several cheap moving boxes worth of gifts this year for the winter holidays, I came across my favorite gift of them all: ...